Texas Instruments' ISO1050 is a galvanically isolated CAN transceiver that meets the specifications of the ISO11898-2 standard. The device has the logic input and output buffers separated by a silicon oxide (SiO2) insulation barrier that provides galvanic isolation of up to 5000 VRMS for ISO1050DW and 2500 VRMS for ISO1050DUB. Used in conjunction with isolated power supplies, the device prevents noise currents on a data bus or other circuits from entering the local ground and interfering with or damaging sensitive circuitry.
As a CAN transceiver, the device provides differential transmit capability to the bus and differential receive capability to a CAN controller at signaling rates up to 1 megabit per second (Mbps). The device is designed for operation in especially harsh environments. It features cross-wire, overvoltage, and loss of ground protection from -27 V to 40 V and overtemperature shutdown, as well as -12 V to +12 V common-mode range.
The ISO1050 is characterized for operation over the ambient temperature range of -55°C to +105°C.
- Meets the requirements of ISO11898-2
- 5000 VRMS isolation (ISO1050DW)
- 2500 VRMS isolation (ISO1050DUB)
- Fail-safe outputs
- Low loop delay: 150 ns (typ), 210 ns (max)
- 50 kV/µs typical transient immunity
- Bus-fault protection of -27 V to +40 V
- Driver (TXD) dominant time-out function
- I/O voltage range supports 3.3 V and 5 V microprocessors
- UL 1577 approved
- VDE approval per DIN V VDE V 0884-10 (VDE V 0884-10):2006-12 and DIN EN 61010-1
- CSA approved for IEC 60950-1, IEC 61010-1, IEC 60601-1 3rd Ed (medical) and component acceptance notice 5A
- TUV 5 KVRMS reinforced insulation approval for EN/UL/CSA 60950-1 (ISO1050DW only)
- CQC reinforced insulation per GB4843.1-2011 (ISO1050DW only)
- Typical 25-year life at rated working voltage (see application report SLLA197 and Life Expectancy vs Working Voltage)
- Industrial automation, control, sensors, and drive systems
- Building and climate control (HVAC) automation
- Security systems
- CAN Bus standards such as CANopen, DeviceNet, NMEA2000, ARINC825, ISO11783, CAN Kingdom, CANaerospace